Friday, February 1, 2008

Common Sense Is Not So Common

I am sitting in my office one fine afternoon. A former employee comes in to ask me about his W-2. I guess he knew I was pregnant before because he made a weird comment about the candy I was eating. I gave him a WTF? look.

He says "Cause you're pregnant." I tell him I am not and that I had a miscarriage. He seems concerned and sad for me at first but then ruins it with this oh-so-wonderful comment...

"Stop stressing out so much."

If looks could kill, he would be dead. I actually felt the nasty look I shot at him. I snapped. I told him the next time he hears someone had a miscarriage to NOT say that. He looks dumbfounded. Totally not understanding my anger. I tell him "You basically just told me I caused my miscarriage because I stressed out too much." He still doesn't seem to get it. He just says he knows that stress is the number one cause of miscarriages. I tell him he needs to do some research. I hand him what he needs then politely, yet sarcastically say "Now get out of my office."

I can't believe I snapped but I admit, I don't feel bad about it at all.

No comments: