Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mommy Wars: Breast vs Formula

The reason I use the term Mommy Wars is because I find that parenting is such a controversial thing. You wouldn't think it would be, but it is. We all have our opinions of what is acceptable and what isn't and our own are always the right way!

I think I have started to write this blog post several times and didn't really want to know what I wanted to say. I am an advocate for both. I don't want it to be a post whining that I couldn't breastfed and bitching about the negative attitudes towards formula feeding.

This is just such an ongoing battle between moms and society.

Breast is best right? Formula is poison!

Not exactly...

I am an ex-pumping formula feeding mommy...and proud of it!! My preemie daughter spent her first 4 weeks in the NICU. I wasn't there to breastfed 24/7 and she never learned to latch. I was just happy to see her eating on her own I didn't care if it came from a bottle nipple or my own! I exclusively pumped my breast milk and fed it to her through a bottle (or feeding tube in the NICU) until she was 2 months old. She had to be switched to Hypoallergenic formula due to a milk & soy protein allergy. My supply was low and we were using my frozen stash when I ate dairy products so that stash was no longer good and continuing wasn't an option when my supply sunk to nothing.

So yes, I "gave up." I choose what was best for my daughter. Even though I could have tried to get my supply up, the proteins from my breast milk could still effect her even if I went dairy and soy free with my diet.... and it just wasn't worth it. The hypoallergenic formula worked wonders for her and I stuck with it!! And she is thriving!!

I have heard such strong opinions for both sides.

Formula has been compared to feeding babies pizza and Cheetos. Poisoning them with chemicals. Lazy parenting.

Breast is best. It's the best option and so much better for babies. People say this yet they don't want to see it either. Breastfeed your baby but be sure not to do it in public!

Society can't seem to make up their minds. The cringe and judge when they see a mother pull out a bottle and gasp when a mother pulls out her breast. Quite frankly it is none of any one's business what someone feeds their child as long as the child is thriving.

1 comment:

Parker's Paradise said...

We are so on the same page....
Presley had a high pallet so she never could latch on. She was a breast milk baby for the first 6 weeks of her life (I pumped like a mad women) and she had severe collic. Come to find out, she couldn't process the proteins in my breast milk. We went straight to the "special" a.k.a. EXPENSIVE formula and no more colic. I would've loved to have breastfed my child. In our case, it wasn't meant to be. If blessed with another child again in the future I would love to try again! I hate that people judge others out of their own stupidity! Not everyone is the same.